In the span of a few years, Chris Pine has gone from relatively unknown to one of Hollywood’s hottest actors. With his second Star Trek film coming to theaters soon, Pine reflected on the skyrocketing of his career.
While Pine made his film debut in a mainstream film, The Princess Diaries 2, as Anne Hathaway’s characters love interest, it wasn’t until his 2009 role in the Star Trek reboot that he became a well-known lead actor.
Now reaping the rampant success of his acting career, the 32-year-old actor reflected on his days in Hollywood to ET Canada when discussing his upcoming film Star Trek Into Darkness.
“I’ve been really lucky and kind of get swept up in the ocean of Hollywood,” Pine said. “It’s a great ride, but you surface and you’re like, ‘Where the hell am I? What is this all about?’”
Although Star Trek boosted his career to personally unseen heights, Pine said that he had his doubts about jumping on another series of the Star Trek franchise, which already had 10 films in its collection prior to its 2009 edition.
“I think we all took a giant leap off the cliff,” he said of signing on to the project.
Despite his inhibitions, the first film in the most recent series raked in an estimated $385 million at the box office, which was the highest-grossing film that he had ever been a part of.
With more hype surrounding the follow-up Star Trek film, which boasts a hefty $185 million production budget, Pine praises the upcoming sci-fi film and its director-producer J.J. Abrams.
“What J.J.’s done is…made a story that’s accessible, real, and human and very earth-bound and of the here-and-now that I think will appeal to people above and beyond the ‘Trek,’ fandom,” he said.
I’ve added 69 photos of Chris alongside Into Darkness director J.J. Abrams, and his co-stars Karl Urban and Zachary Quinto at the Australian premiere!
Thanks to the Radio Times, we are pleased to report Chris will be joining his Into Darkness co-star and nemesis, Benedict Cumberbatch on The Graham Norton Show Friday, May 3rd. The day after the London premiere of Into Darkness which Chris will also attend.
Question: What’s better than Benedict Cumberbatch on a sofa? Answer: Benedict Cumberbatch and Chris Pine on a sofa. In your living room.
Yes, following last week’s news that the Sherlock actor will be appearing on The Graham Norton Show on Friday 3 May, producers have today revealed that he will be joined by Star Trek Into Darkness co-star Chris Pine.
The sci-fi sequel sees Cumberbatch as chilling new villain John Harrison, taking on Pine’s Captain James T Kirk in a battle that wrecks the USS Enterprise and destroys half of London. Thankfully, the pair are good friends in real life so the sofa action is likely to be a lot more cordial.
Smallzy got all the goss on the latest Star Trek film from Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto.
I’ve added 14 photos of Chris and his fellow Star Trek co-stars along with director J.J. Abrams posing for portraits in Sydney Australia.